The main challenge when applying any coating to synthetic or “man-made” surfaces, is the lack of surface texture and porous areas. Unlike concrete and wood, which have pores in the surface that invite penetration and anchoring of the coating, synthetic surfaces are often very smooth.
These steps should help you prep your tile floors or countertop for Daich spreadable stone products.
- Scuff with 40 grit sandpaper to break the glaze.
- Wash the floor or countertop to remove any debris.
- Roll on a uniform coat of ElastoLock as an adhesion promoter for coatings that will follow. Let it dry until the following day before proceeding.
- If the existing grout line pattern will be used on the floor, roll on a coat of Daich Textured Primer. After the primer has dried fully, mask off the grout lines with Daich Grout Line tape before applying your desired floor finish.
- If a new grout pattern (or seamless application for your floor or TILE SURFACE) is desired, skim coat the surface with polymer enhanced thinset. This will eliminate all previous grout lines for a new, flat surface.
- Proceed with the decorative Daich Coatings floor or countertop finish of your choice, as directed.